Monday, May 16, 2011

The National Park Blanket

When we visit one of our National Parks, we pick up a patch to help commemorate the occasion. When I get a bulk of them collected, I take them down to Lee's Tailoring in on the Northside of Indianapolis, and ask him to apply the new patches. 

Here is the family's National Park Blanket on May 16, 2011
This is a small project for Lee as he is often doing suits and tuxedos as well as other more traditional alterations, but he agrees to put on the patches with a smile (and a fee, of course). 

Our daughter already likes to look at the different patches. 
The more places we go, the more patches we will have. The hope is that the blanket is fully covered one day with patches from all the parks and historical sites in the US. It probably won't happen until we retire or hit the lottery, but it is a fun little collection that we'll have together with our daughter.


Our daughter has been to many of the nations parks with us, but I have done many on my own.
During my recent to trip Missouri, I  was able to check off all the parks and sites in that state. I have also been to all of the parks in Indiana. We have only scratched the surface in Virginia, North Carolina, New York, and Washington, D.C.

Each patch has an interesting personal and (of course) historical story.
Business travel has only helped me check a few off the list on one occasion. I may get to one park in Philly on a business trip.
Her favorite thus far was the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C.
Her least favorite thus far has been Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. The tour started just around nap time, so we'll write that one off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know Oregon has quite a few parks :)